Make your Saturday that much more special by cooking this delicious three-cheese and silverbeet lasagne from the Slow Cooker Vegetarian by Katy Holder.This lasagne is a great way to get extra green vegetables into fussy kids because the silverbeet is hidden in the layers of pasta and tomato sauce.
PREPARATION TIME 20 minutes
COOKING TIME 3¼ hours
80 ml (21/2 fl oz/1/3 cup) extra virgin olive oil
750 g (1 lb 10 oz) silverbeet (Swiss chard), leaves finely shredded, stems finely chopped, kept separate
1 small red onion, finely chopped
large handful basil, stems finely chopped, leaves coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons tomato paste (concentrated purée)
3 x 400 g (14 oz) tins chopped tomatoes
400 g (14 oz) ricotta cheese
100 g (31/2 oz/1 cup) finely grated parmesan cheese, plus extra to serve
150 g (51/2 oz) bocconcini or mozzarella cheese, cut into small cubes
1 egg, lightly beaten
250–300 g (9–101/2 oz) lasagne sheets
green salad, to serve (optional)
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large frying pan over medium–high heat. Cook the silverbeet stems and onion for 2 minutes, then add the silverbeet leaves and cook for a further 3 minutes until wilted. Drain, squeezing out any excess liquid. Transfer to a large bowl and allow to cool while making the tomato sauce.
2. Heat the remaining oil in the frying pan over medium–low heat. Add the garlic and basil stems and cook for 3 minutes until golden. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute before adding the chopped tomatoes. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, then simmer for 10 minutes or until the sauce thickens slightly.
3. Add the three cheeses, egg and basil leaves to the bowl with the silverbeet and mix well. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
4. Transfer about one-third of the tomato sauce to the slow cooker and spread over the base. Arrange a layer of lasagne sheets (about one-third of the sheets) on top of the sauce, snapping to fit if necessary. Top with half of the silverbeet mixture, another layer of lasagne sheets and another third of the sauce. Top with the remaining filling, lasagne sheets and tomato sauce. Cook on low for 3 hours, or until the pasta is tender.
5. Serve with extra grated parmesan and a green salad, if you like.
Recipe from Slow Cooker Vegetarian by Katy Holder