With such busy personal and family lives is it any wonder on some days all we've eaten is quick (or skipped) breakfasts, takeaways, sugary snacks and coffees?
And by the time we get home there's often so much left to do that we dilute dinner time with calendar management, watching TV and growling at the kids to eat their beans.
But more and more studies are showing that enjoying a healthy sit-down meal with family is great for our health and wellbeing.
So to help you get there — at least some days of the week — here are Lee Holmes' top 10, budget-friendly, healthy and simple family meals.
- Chicken Noodle Soup The ultimate feel-good meal, easy to make and great on the budget. Plus leftovers make a delicious lunch the next day.
- Fried Rice Delicious, easy to cook, and brimming with healthy ingredients And again, leftovers make a great lunch or use as a base to tomorrow's dinner.
- Garlic & Rosemary Chicken Chicken is an easy sell in most families, and this dish packs so much flavour it's sure to be a winner. Super simple to make, you'll have this on the menu every week!
- Shepherd's Pie with Cauliflower Mash Who doesn't love a shepherd's pie? And with this healthy and tasty cauliflower mash, everyone's happy!
- Nachos The healthy version of nachos with the right ingredients, this is a quick meal to prepare that the kids will love.
- Slow-Cooked Mexican Beef Casserole Great for large crowds, easy to prepare with a little time to let it cook. Flavours can even be adjusted based around what you have in your pantry. Plus, this dish makes amazing leftovers!
- Chicken & Vegetable Stir-Fry Not just your ordinary stir-fry, this meal is full of amazing Asian flavours with none of the preservatives. Need more? This goes great with a side of steamed brown rice or quinoa.
- Lemon, Basil & Tomato Scrambled Eggs An amazing family breakfast to kick-start the day! Eggs are high in protein and good fats, so they make great brain food and keep you fuller for longer.
- Chia Coconut Pikelets High in Omega 3 and antioxidants these little pancakes are great finger food for kids.
- Raw Berry & Chocolate Torte Shh, it's actually cacoa not chocolate, so get ready for a yummy chocolatey hit!
Want more of Lee's recipes absolutely free? Click here ⤵️
Love to your family,
With thanks to Lee Holmes, Supercharged Foods: My Top Ten Sit-Down Family Meals.